• With Great Power! Superhero Anthology

by  • August 3, 2009 • Book News • 0 Comments

Ages since I’ve written a short story and two announcements come along at once. Typical. I’m very proud to be included in a new anthology of superhero prose tales, With Great Power! which will be published by Pocket Books in 2010.

Award-winning editor Lou Anders has put together a great list of fellow contributors, a mix of leading comic book writers (including some personal favourites) and f/sf authors who are comics fans. Here’s the full list: Matthew Sturges, James Maxey, Paul Cornell, Mike Carey, Mike Baron, Daryl Gregory, Gail Simone, Stephen Baxter, Chris Roberson, Peter & Kathleen David, Joseph Mallozzi, Marjorie M Liu, Ian McDonald and Bill Willingham.

As I’ve mentioned here before, I’m a long-time comics fan, like many authors within the genre, and I’ve had comics published by Image and Caliber. Superheroes – so big in the movies – really is an untapped genre in prose form, though, and all credit to Pocket Books for taking the leap into this new area.

0 Responses to With Great Power! Superhero Anthology

1. August 3, 2009 at 1:51 pm

*grinds her teeth with overwhelming envy*

Um… I mean… congratulations!!! :)

2. Matt Coote
      August 4, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Congratulations. It’s not an entirely untapped genre though. I’ve noticed more and more superhero novels on the shelves. And there’s a series of books called ‘Wild Cards’ edited by GRR Martin that have been around quite a while which is all about Superheroes and villains – though I don’t think that it’s all that well known. I guess the success of recent comic book movies and TV series has finally spilled over into the book world.

3. August 4, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I remember the Wild Cards series – that was quite a while ago. There have been one or two other novels, as you rightly point out, but not many compared to the potential, I think.

Well, I now have my own superhero, supporting cast and setting if I decide to use him again.

4. Matt Coote
      August 5, 2009 at 11:40 am

I shall look forward to reading that anthology.

I too thought that the Wild Cards series finished in the early 90’s. To my surprise I discovered that not only did they release 5 more books between 1993 and 2006, they’re also part way through a new series at the moment.

5. Marc
      August 6, 2009 at 10:54 am

Ah yes! Wild Cards = throw a statue at the car to stop it, don’t stand in front of it, you will go flying…

6. MattC
      August 13, 2009 at 3:44 pm

‘Soon I will be Invincible’ by Austin Grossman is worth a read.